But before I get to the wonderful news, no matter how hard I try, I cannot get away from the memories of my 33rd birthday. At this moment 365 days ago, rather than reveling in the bliss of having my beautiful new baby in my arms and my first birthday with my parents in several years, we were all sitting in the Seattle Children's Hospital waiting room. Wondering how things were going in the operating room down the hall as Tiernan underwent his first open heart surgery at the age of 15 days. Trying desperately to keep our minds off the worst case scenario by setting up our Caring Bridge website and eating terrible hospital cafeteria food. My mind today keeps wandering back to that moment when they told us we couldn't go further with him. The moment when the nurses came out and told us he would likely come out with his chest left open. The absolutely deafening silence of the room as we went in and saw our sweet baby for the first time. The knowledge that our 5 year old was in his second day of Kindergarten and I would not be home to welcome him back and hear all about everything.
I revisit these memories for you all mostly as a comparison. To today. 365 days later. So I can remember just how truly blessed I have been in those many days. Today Tiernan is a legitimate crawler. On all fours. Like any other baby. We didn't think that would happen. Today, that little boy is at Nanny K's house pulling up and cruising all over the place, just like any other 1 year old who is close to walking. Today, our Wee T is finally drinking from a sippy cup and eating baby food just like other kids. Right now, he is probably napping...in a pack and play...for more than 20 minutes at a time. Just like an average child. And at this moment, he is NOT connected to a feeding tube and pump. Hooray.
SIDESTORY:
We do have to deal with the stupid pump still, and the aggrivations that come alongside that. For those who don't know, Jason got "Tiernan'ed yesterday. (to adapt another heart mom friend's phrase) As J was getting set for his first day of the school year to begin he got a call from Nanny K saying that Tiernan had stood up with his foot on his tube and yanked it out. So this meant that, for the second year in a row, J had to get a sub to cover his classes and be with Tiernan at the hospital. THIS time, however, though a massive pain, all we could do was laugh and shake our heads. And today we are on to GJ tube number 7 in 9 months.
Tristan is beyond happy to be a 1st grader. He is not running from his classroom, screaming and crying for his parents who aren't around. He is sitting in his home school of Edgerton, where he will meet friends who live in his neighborhood. Perhaps even around the corner. Friends whose houses he can walk to after dinner in the evenings for 30 minutes of play time. He is getting to see his mommy or daddy sitting there watching him as he learns "FOCUS AND CONCENTRATION SIR" at Tae Kwon Do. He has lost his first 2 teeth within the last week. He gets to play and be silly with his little brother and not worry about stepping on a tube all the time. He can READ!
These are amazing changes in 1 year. More than I could have dreamed possible. And although I AM exhausted, and I do survive on high levels of caffeine, I am happy and relatively relaxed today. I had the privilage of walking my Tristan to school, coffee in hand, sun shining and him chattering away about wanting to be a surgeon for babies with heart problems like Tiernan. (Tiernan will be his partner in this too, as a sub of sorts. Stepping in if Tristan is sick. :) )That experience has never happened before and will probably never happen again, and I am so happy I got to do it on my birthday. After arriving home, I made a second latte and settled in on the porch to read a book in the sunshine. After a while I moved inside and read some more. But then I got tired so I took a nap! A NAP!!! I feel so indulged today and I am not doing anything I would have considered extraordinary a year ago.
So I spend this day being incredibly thankful for how far we have come and that our journey has taught me that I don't need big parties or gifts to have a good birthday. I just need the chance to take a nap now and then.. =)
Carrie this is a beautiful post.. Thank you for sharing! Happy Birthday friend!!! Thanks be to God for the little and big things he does everyday! Enjoy your day!
ReplyDeleteBeautiful thoughts Carrie. We are so happy for you, J, and the boys to have finally found some health and peace coming from this whole challenging ordeal . We know you have been to hell and back and you are, in fact, stronger for it, and wee T is living proof of your strength. I feel blessed to be your friend and though I have not seen you much this year, you have (unbeknownst to you) made me a stronger person as I watched you keep the faith and remain strong for your son and family.
ReplyDeleteI've said it many times this year, and I mean it: You. Are. Amazing.
~Love & Hugs, Julie
How evident God's goodness when you look back on the past year. Happy birthday, friend! So thankful for you and your family!
ReplyDelete