Mr. Tiernan is no longer the only brave boy around the Flynn house.
Tristan had his tonsils and adenoids removed today.
He has long been known for his impressive snoring. The more concerning thing, however, was the fact that his snoring was accompanied by sleep apnea. :S
We have known this was necessary for quite some time now and he was referred last year but somehow that referral was lost and we never followed through with it until this fall. This, I have decided, was in God's plan. Last year Tristan would have been an absolute lunatic at the mere thought of this, but with a year of OT and another year of maturity he has been exceptionally brave.
I think he saw it as a badge of honor that Tiernan had already earned but now he is a part of that club. :)
This morning he woke up and the first words out of his mouth were, "I'm excited!" He had a few moments of nerves, but not as many as I expected and if he hadn't been at all nervous I would have been shocked. Who isn't a little nervous before surgery?!
I was most impressed (and relieved) that he was unphased by the news that I could not go back to the OR with him and he just walked in chatting it up with the nurse as if he were going to a movie or something. :)
After a short 20 minutes Dr. E came out and said he was finished and doing well.
The nice thing was they got the allergy scratch test done while he was under so now we know he is only allergic to grasses. Dr. E had also offered to remove loose teeth if we wanted. :) haha
The nurse said he was one of the bravest kids of his age she had seen in a long time, but I bet she says that to all the parents. :)
He is home now and snugged up on the couch watching Harry Potter.
He has eaten one Fudgsicle, two bowls of Berry Rainbow Sherbet and downed 5 glasses of ice water. Dr. E wants a final tally on the ice cream treats at his follow up appointment.
I am also surprised by how well he is talking. I expected him to be whispering for some reason, but I suppose there was nothing done to his vocal folds so it makes sense.
Our plan for the next 7 days:
Watch as many movies as possible.
Read as many books as possible.
Eat as many icy treats as possible.
Play as many games as possible.
Thanksgiving will still occur tomorrow as Auntie Rhiannon and Uncle Matt are bringing it to us. Tristan has clearence to eat as many helpings of mashed potatoes as he wishes so he is a happy camper. That is his favorite part anyway. :)
I apologize for the next photo, but Tristan insisted on showing off his new roomier throat. haha
Upon seeing the photo we had the following exchange:
"I don't see anything."
"That's because Dr. E took them out silly!"
"Oooohhh."
[shakes head]
No comments:
Post a Comment