Tuesday, November 16, 2010

My helper for the day

Last night we had a big and somewhat unexpected windstorm.  Although we saw some lights flickering and it sounded like the wind might blow our house down, we did not experience any loss of power.  Many other people did, however, including many schools.  So we all ended up on 2 hour late start.  When I went to drop Tristan at his school, we were told that there was still no power and school was cancelled.  Soooo, Tristan came to work with me!  This is the first time he has ever spent an entire day with me while students were present.  He was stoked!  Except it took a long time to get there, so he was a wee bit bored in the car by the time we got there.  Oh well.
Upon arrival, there were many people who were excited to see him there.  He has grown a lot since most of them saw him last.  We finally made our way to my room where he immediately made his mark on my white board.
This got a collective, "Awwwww" from my 7th grade girls.  :)
While I was preparing, he got to preview an exciting new book our librarian loaned him.
Then in came the 7th graders.  He mostly hid under my desk, and gave them either thumbs up, down or 2 thumbs up depending on their sound.  They loved him.
The highlight of his day was, perhaps, getting to "eat where YOU eat".  Meaning the teacher's lounge!
Following lunch, he borrowed a second book (because he had "finished the other one" and was a bit more outgoing with my last 3 classes.  I had my Advanced Choir after school and he composed a rather impressive rhythmic exercise for them to read. No really.  He used, quarter notes, eighth notes, sixteenth notes and quarter rests.  He even added expertly drawn treble clefs at the beginning of each staff!  My choir (and I) was surprised at his skill!  He also learned and demonstrated a tambourine part for them.  Wonder where he gets it all.
He drew another rhythm on the board in addition to the longer one.  Here he is at work.
Must get it from his Granda.
Here he is doing a little impromptu on the piano.  I quite like it.  Soothing in a way.  And check out the hand position and emotion in his body.  :)
It was a fantastic day.  I so enjoyed his company, even though, midway through the last class he wrote me a note saying he didn't like it there because it is boring.  All we do is SING!!!  Hehehe.  My students, as I mentioned, were completely taken with him.  They thought he was funny and cute and were thrilled he came.  
I love my boy.  

No comments:

Post a Comment